Welcome To Kaboom!

Join Today!

New Music

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Pulls Out of New Year’s Eve Fight in Japan

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Pulls Out of New Year’s Eve Fight in Japan

Floyd Mayweather says his recently-announced crossover fight with 20-year-old Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa isn’t happening after all.

The undefeated former boxing pound-for-pound king claims that he originally agreed to participate in an unofficial exhibition bout “for a very large fee” before a small group of wealthy spectators in Japan on New Year’s Eve, but that he and his team were “completely derailed” at Monday’s press conference.

“First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan,” he wrote in a new Instagram post.

View this post on Instagram

Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the "Rizen Fighting Federation". What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of "One Entertainment" was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a "Special Bout" purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

“What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee.

“This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide.”

“Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately,” he added.

Mayweather pulled out of the bout before any rules, round limit, or weight class had been determined. He initially posted a photo of himself wearing Rizin MMA gloves to Instagram, a post that has since been taken down.

“I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval,” Mayweather continued.

“For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry.”

The apologetic explanation ended with an on-brand statement from “Money.”

“I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.”

Even though Mayweather has canceled his oddball battle with the kickboxer known as “Ninja Boy”, he has expressed interest in two other highly lucrative fights. Most recently, he responded positively to UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov’s challenge to box in Russia.

“Oh, we fighting,” Mayweather told TMZ. “We can make it happen.”

Another feasible option could be a rematch with Manny Pacquiao. He’ll have to wait until at least next year, as the aging Filipino legend is set to defend his welterweight title against Adrien Broner in January.